The residents of an apartment complex in Decatur, Georgia were shocked this week when they tried to leave home – only to find they were stuck, as their stairs had been removed.
The emergency services were eventually summoned to help free residents of Maple Walk Apartments who lived above the ground floor.
“They gave us no notice. No nothing. They were already taking the stairs down when we got the notice this morning,” resident Shawnta Tiller said.
“This is crazy. How can you cut off access to the stairs and everybody’s in their apartments?” asked neighbor Andre Williams.
Some residents had received a letter last week saying that the stairs needed emergency repairs, and that tenants would be reimbursed for hotel costs for the time they’d be required to move out.
However, they say that the stairs were abruptly removed on Monday morning, with no prior warning having been given.
The stranded residents were eventually freed when a local reporter who was covering the story, called in firefighters to help.
Makes us wonder why the first call was to a reporter, instead of the fire department.