What a year it’s been! It’s hard to boil down all the stupid statements and quotable quips made this past year into one, short list… but here are our favorites:
1. “Sean Spicer, our press secretary, gave alternative facts.” — Kellyanne Conway, interview on NBC “Meet the Press,” Jan. 22.
2. “Alternative facts are not facts, they’re falsehoods.” — Chuck Todd, interview of Kellyanne Conway on “Meet the Press,” Jan. 22.
3. “I just fired the head of the FBI. He was crazy, a real nut job.” — Donald Trump, as reported by The New York Times, explaining the firing of James Comey to visiting Russian officials, May 10.
4. “With respect to any women who have made allegations on the record, Mr. Weinstein believes that all of these relationships were consensual.” — Sallie Hofmeister, spokeswoman for Harvey Weinstein, Oct. 10.
5. “I did try and fuck her. She was married…I moved on her like a bitch. But I couldn’t get there. And she was married. Then all of a sudden I see her, she’s now got the big phony tits and everything. You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab ’em by the pussy. You can do anything.” — Donald Trump as recorded by Access Hollywood.
6. “You also had people that were very fine people, on both sides.”— Donald Trump in a press conference regarding the white supremacists and neo Nazi marching in Charlottesville.
7. “Not generally, no. If I did, I’m not going to dispute anything but I don’t remember anything like that.” Alabama Senator candidate Roy Moore told Sean Hannity during an interview when asked if he dated underage girls.
8. “And the Academy Award … for Best Picture … La La Land.” — Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, mistakenly reading the wrong winner for Best Picture in an envelope mix-up, Academy Awards ceremony, Feb. 27.
9. “It’s a shame the White House has become an adult day care center.” — Bob Corker, Republican senator from Tennessee, in a tweet, Oct. 8.
10. “This is more work than in my previous life. I thought it would be easier.” — Trump told Reuters in an interview regarding his feelings about becoming president of the United States of America.
11. “With all of the Fake News coming out of NBC and the Networks, at what point is it appropriate to challenge their License? Bad for country!” — Donald Trump, threatening a major news network with license revocation after NBC News reported that the secretary of state had called Mr Trump “a moron.”
12. “It is time to drain the swamp in Washington, D.C. This is why I’m proposing a package of ethics reforms to make our government honest once again.” — Donald Trump at a campaign stop in Wisconsin.
* Yes, we know, some of the quotes were made prior to 2017. I guess that makes us “fake news.”